20071212

A Child's Words of Wisdom

by caccy46

My favorite four year old in the world is my neice, Anna, who lives in Beijing. She moved there when she was almost two, along with her parents and two brothers, to return in three or four years (and breaking my heart - Anna and I were attached at the hips). She called me last night, having just awakened at 7:30am Beijing time to tell me in her surprisingly deep, scratchy voice that her teacher went to a country where people live in houses made of leaves that leak water when it rains; where children don't sleep in cozy beds and have floors made of dirt. She explained that her teacher, along with a team of other people, helped build a house for a family, making the analogy of the Three Little Pigs; that now they would have a house built of bricks to keep them warm and dry. "Maybe you and I can do that when I visit you next time." I had to remind myself that Anna is 4 years old, a baby herself. With tears rolling down my cheeks, I hung up the phone with a renewed sense of hope that our world can be a kinder, wiser place some day.

6S

caccy46, author of No, is 60 years old, a mother of two, and has been married for 32 years.