20260620

Transubstantiation

by Priscilla Bettis

When I was eight years old, I tagged along with the neighbor boy to church. For the wine and bread of communion, there was grape juice in kid-sized cups and little round crackers. As we knelt at the communion rail, the neighbor boy told me they weren’t crackers at all but the body of Christ. BODIES AREN’T FLAT CIRCLES, I shout-whispered the way kids do. He was gazing at the stained glass image of Jesus which painted my friend’s face with a kaleidoscope of color. Without turning away from the Savior, he smiled and said, “They’re not bread, either.”

6S

Priscilla Bettis is an avid reader and a joyful writer. Priscilla lives in small-town Texas with her two-legged and four-legged family members. She enjoys writing short stories and poems inspired by her awe of the Divine and love for fellow human beings. She is the author of Whispers of a Southern Moon, a short-story and poetry collection. Priscilla is a book reviewer at The Well Read Fish.