20220617

I hear the blues a callin', tossed salad and scrambled egg sandwich

by Lucas Di Quinzio

Ingredients: White bread – wheat flour, water, maize starch, yeast, wheat gluten, iodised salt, I see you, chatty old lady with shopping bags, please don't sit next to me. I can see you trying to start a conversation with the bus driver, who really has no time for it, please don't sit next to me and start talking. I really wish my phone wasn't a piece of crap that only charges half the time. Egg (33%), lettuce (10%), I know I sound like a dick but today was seniors discount day at the store and well, sometimes they're very kind, but sometimes they try to cram in their whole life story including the deaths of their loved ones in a twelve item transaction, and today an elderly customer assumed I was Jewish and not only asked why I wasn't working in the bank but if I had got a nose job because 'I don't have the nose of one of them. Free-range egg mayonnaise (9%) – canola oil, egg vinegar, acidity regulator (330), just let me read the contents of this empty sandwich packet in peace, I can do my own inane chatter – what even is acidity regulator anyway? Oh, hi, yes it is cold today, I didn't know the cold could affect arthritis of the knees, it is surprising that happened to your late husband, too…

6S

Lucas Di Quinzio is a writer from Melbourne, Australia. His writing career has bounced in various different directions over the years. He has co-founded a literary journal that lasted three issues, had a parody picture book published, been an on and off games writer and covered the so-bad-it's-good movie beat. His words can currently be seen in Aniko Press, Superjump Magazine and the German Wikipedia page for the 2010 no-budget Ugandan action film Who Killed Captain Alex?