20220221

I Wake Up a Caveman

by Guy Biederman

I wake up a caveman, something of an artist, a painter of a certain age. I paint in the morning. I paint in the afternoon. I discover the contour of the rock wall gives dimension to my bison – the one my brothers killed, vying for your affection, hoping to impress with their skill. But they only have eyes for your parts, lusty beasts that they are, while I crave just a glance from you, a glimpse my way. I paint with charcoal, knowing you’ll never know this pulse of mine beats faster when you are in my eye, at peace, my hands black, dusty, and alive, hungry for the bison they could not catch, would not kill.

6S

Guy Biederman's work has appeared in many journals including great weather for MEDIA, MacQueen’s Quinterly, Riddled with Arrows, and Flashback Fiction. His sixth collection, Translated From The Original, one-inch-punch fiction will be published by Nomadic Press in 2022. He lives on a dock with his wife and walks the planks daily.