20210815

Fainting

by Laura Stamps

I had a dream last night, and in this one I kept passing out with no warning, out cold, boom, anywhere, everywhere, strangers picking me up off the street or wherever I collapsed and telling me what had happened, since I had no idea I had fainted. It kept getting worse and worse, fainting and falling, fainting and falling, with no memory whatsoever, until I finally woke up terrified. At first I thought it was real, that this was my grim future, and I had developed dementia or Alzheimer’s or something. Okay, no more watching those popular soapy hospital series every night on television. Obviously, I’ve absorbed enough medical trivia to convince my subconscious I’m going insane. Goodbye to my favorite nighttime surgeons and your romantic relationship disasters/crises, which you will now have to resolve on your own without my help, even though I love all of you, and I do, but not that much.

6S

Laura Stamps writes wacky narrative poetry and flash/micro fiction. (Life should be fun, right?) Author of THE YEAR OF THE CAT (Artemesia Publishing) and IN THE GARDEN (The Moon). Winner of the Muses Prize. Recipient of 7 Pushcart Prize nominations. Mom of 5 cats. Visit her website and follow her on Twitter.