20210812

Bad Hair Day

by Tim Frank

One day I woke with a shaved head and I found Neo-Nazis goose-stepping outside my front door while protesters lobbed rocks at my window. Scuffles broke out, gunshots fired. The next day my hair grew long, stretching below my shoulders. Hippies camped on the pavement, smoking weed and dropping acid as peals of laughter twisted into dry-mouthed paranoia. The next day my hair was shorn into patchy tufts and I was locked in a cell as audiences glared at my deformed body. How I missed the days of a short back and sides from a monosyllabic barber and the comfort of a simple life.

6S

Tim Frank's short stories have been published in Bourbon Penn, Eunoia Review, Maudlin House and elsewhere. He is the associate fiction editor for Able Muse Literary Journal and tweets here.