20210529

Garrulous

by Wendy BooydeGraaff

I, the author, sit here on my intricately patterned settee, tapping words into my laptop that you will read: words with flair endings to them such as vivacious — can’t you hear the end of it trailing into the breeze like a ribbon? Last night I went out among friends, wearing my high-waisted evening dress and holding my glass of effervescence, sparkling in the moonlight which reflected upon the pool’s calm surface casting sparkles into the dark. My face smiled back at me. I spoke and I listened, the same face performing varied functions. I spoke to many faces along the pool’s edge, relating my perspicacious ideas about the progression of our current society. The last guest pulled me in, disregarding my attire, and here I am, sharing the dregs of early morning with you whilst I drip the remains of the night onto the floor.

6S

Wendy BooydeGraaff's fiction, poems, and essays have been included in NOON, West Trade Review, South Broadway Ghost Society, CutBank Online, and elsewhere. Born and raised in Ontario, Canada, she now lives in Michigan, United States.