20210317

Walking Pace

by Jack Leonard

I stroll through the belly of the factory. The seething, noisy beast; its inorganic innards alive - perpetual motion demanding devotion. The beat compels fast walking, an impression of ‘being busy,’ of being ‘alive in the hive.’ But that’s not for me. I walk to my own sweet rhythm, not the algorithm; I feel the impatience growing behind me, waiting for a chance to overtake. But they don’t see what I see, the factory on the make; sending out boxes with a smile that looks suspiciously smug.

6S

Jack Leonard lives in Ilkeston, Derbyshire, with his wife and two daughters where he runs nature-connection services and writing workshops in the great outdoors. He's lived in other places too but mainly inside his head. Writing is a way of stopping it from getting too crowded in there. His first published work, Dark Inscription, is available on Kindle. For more, stop by The Lighthouse at the End of the World.