20201225

Wayward

by Jai Morton

She handed me a warm latte and, catching my faraway gaze, offered "oh love, you’re a free spirit, it’s just who you are." Often if I was coming unstuck about something – usually a relationship – she’d try to soothe me with such a statement. Then I’d find myself on the other side of that experience – single, in a new place, or taking some sort of chance – and I'd see how right she was. Time and again, she’d marked my waywardness, my desire to untether, free to pick up and move, right on the head. I sat with it this time – trying to embrace this 'spirit', all the adventures it'd given me, while balancing out the desire to come home, back to familiarity. Why did it always feel like I was out on a limb, teetering between two very different, very desirable worlds?

6S

Jai Morton is a content marketer currently based in Amsterdam. She writes and shares the stories of others here.