20080405

Early Call

by Doug Mathewson

She called me from India on a borrowed phone. Said she been to a temple in the mountains. The temple cats all wore earrings and she thought of me. I smiled all day thinking about that call. I’m not a cat and I don’t wear earrings. She called because she loves me and that made me happier than the fattest cat with the fanciest earrings of all.

6S

Doug Mathewson, whose full catalog is here, lives on the Connecticut shoreline and writes very short fiction that occasionally turns into essays or poetry. His current project is "True Stories From Imaginary Lives." He has been published online by PenPricks, Micro-Fiction, Creative Soup, and Tuesday Shorts. Lately he seems fascinated with writing stories that are six sentences in length. More of his work is available at his blog.