20080105

Theology of Fate

by Henry Simoni-Wastila

So here I am. Fired Unitarian minister, the “Unitarian” adjective qualifying the substantive “minister” to the point of secularity. But even defrocked, it might mean I’m a senser, a feeler, an opened consciousness to that which is - and not to that which is - covered over by a traditional faith’s all-too-gentle blinders. Churchless, I'm working a job that no one with my education aspires towards, i.e. “adult care,” which, if it has not crossed your fortunate path, means caring for adults so mentally or physically incapacitated they cannot care for themselves. Each day, the seared silence of a man brain-damaged in an accident, and another who has Down’s syndrome, and others, a litany of mind-deadening diagnoses, lacking the personalities aware enough to bear them. I curse my fate, until I see others who cannot understand their fate.

6S

Henry Simoni-Wastila serves a Unitarian Universalist congregation and teaches college courses in philosophy. He has published several articles in philosophy of religion in peer-reviewed journals. He is married to Linda, author of Love Song on the Inner Loop.