20080221

Lindsay Lohan and the Haunted House

by Amanda Fortini

(Lindsay) Lohan called (Marilyn) Monroe’s suicide “tragic,” and then added, elliptically, “You know, it’s also tragic what just recently happened to someone else.” I asked whether she was referring to Heath Ledger. She nodded: “They are both prime examples of what this industry can do to someone.” Why some and not others, I asked, since it has often seemed that the thrice-rehabbed Lohan might meet a similar fate. Lohan replied with a flicker of annoyance: “I don’t know; I’m not them; but I sure as hell wouldn’t let it happen to me.” Still, one wonders whether Lohan’s participation in this project, given all the spooky parallels, isn’t the photographic equivalent of moving into a haunted house.

6S

Amanda Fortini writes for New York Magazine. The project she’s referring to is “Lindsay Lohan as Marilyn Monroe in ‘The Last Sitting,’” a nude pictorial featured in the magazine’s 2/18 issue. Amanda’s six sentences (which are slightly altered to fit the format) are excerpted from her accompanying article.