20070627

Drawing

by Michael J. Gelb

Many people are reluctant to experiment with drawing because they are convinced that they are “not artistic;” I know because I was one of them. In my elementary school, “art class” was held twice a week. I hated it. I wasn’t particularly talented and cringed when the teacher criticized my awkward attempts to draw an airplane or a house. I grew up with the conviction “I can’t draw, I’m not artistic,” and for many years this was a self-fulfilling prophecy; then, as part of my own Renaissance training program, I started taking drawing lessons. I discovered, as I trust you will, that drawing is fun and that it offers a wondrous expansion of perspective on life.

6S

Michael J. Gelb is the author of How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci, from where his six sentences are excerpted.