20070315

The Last Days of the Cross

Part 1 of 6 by Joseph Ridgwell

I stood on the corner of Roslyn and Darlinghurst trying to make up my mind, people walked past, forcing me to get out of the way, and then I saw her for the very first time. Juanita, although back then I didn’t know her name was Juanita, she was just a face in the crowd, but not just any face, no, she stood out like a shimmering vision and everyone and everything became part of a blurred grainy backdrop as soon as she hove into view. She was a young aboriginal girl with long legs and mad hair, dressed like a hooker, torn fishnet stockings and a silky yellow blouse. She was walking fast, pushing past people, like she was on a mission. For some mad reason I decided to follow her, I don’t know why, it was just an impulse, an overwhelming urge, but I did it. I crossed to the other side of the road and ran fast along the main drag until I was in front of her.

6S

Joseph Ridgwell grew up in the East End of London and left school with few qualifications. He then embarked on a succession of menial jobs. After being stabbed in a bar brawl and getting robbed at knifepoint he decided it was time to leave the country and promptly travelled the world. He returned to London in 2001 where he lives and writes to this day. "The Last Days of the Cross" is excerpted from his latest novel. Look for Part 2 on Thursday, March 22nd.