20220420

Happy Hour

by Sarah Tollok

This is the hour I get to try to shake something loose. Wedged between rides to basketball practices, work, and maybe some sleep, this is the only hour I get. Will the cocktail of coffee, a blank page, and maybe a writing prompt from some stranger on twitter help me make something wonderful, or something brutal, or at least something? I’m both the bartender and the desperate lady perched on the barstool. I promise I’ll drink whatever is poured. Please, this one happy hour is the only hour I get.

6S

Sarah Tollok is a writer and an elementary-school instructional aide living in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Her work can be found in Intangible Magazine, Second Chance Lit, Sledgehammer Lit, Orange Blush Zine, and ZiN Daily. One of Sarah's stories will be featured in Improbable Press's upcoming anthology, Dark Cheer: Cryptids Emerging, Green Edition.