20200628

Endgame

by Rod Drake

So, get this, on a typical Tuesday afternoon, a black hole singularity suddenly pops into existence in my apartment. Its diameter was no more than the size of a pencil eraser, and it floated casually, about chest-high, in my otherwise normal living room. I watched it for a while, just hovering there in the air, pulsating quietly, noticing that it was pulling random dust motes inside its event horizon to who-knows-where. Eventually I decided that I should probably capture this tiny pocket universe. So I trapped and sealed it in an old Rubbermaid container and put it on a shelf in my bedroom between tattered copies of Stranger in a Strange Land and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Who could have known that such a simple act would cause all that it did to the universe (multiverse?) when the great multitude of miniature black holes came searching for their missing companion.

6S

Rod Drake has some other 100-word flash fiction here.