20190416

Notes

by Rod Drake

Jack Kerouac's ghost has been leaving me hastily scrawled notes each night for a week. They're on my nightstand when I wake up, next to my alarm clock and glasses. Nothing truly literary or earth-shaking about them, just what changes he would like to make to his novels. Sometimes a catty comment or two about Ginsburg, Rexroth or Burroughs. And asking after Neal Cassady, like I would know where he was (I would assume they are in the same place - the Beatnik Afterlife). On my nightstand this morning I found a new note, written on a greasy 1950s paper hamburger wrapper, this time from Cassady, telling me not to let Jack know where he is and that Ken Kesey says hi.

6S

Rod Drake used to think he was a fictional character in a story, but he turned out to be the author instead - life is funny that way.