20111023

New Things

by Lannhi Nguyen

Some people like the gleaming, pristine veneer of new things. That smooth, untouched perfection only achievable through protective display and disuse. But me, I like things that are battered and bruised. I like things which have lived and been loved and bear all the scars and marks of both. I want to be able to trace my finger along edges and surfaces and wonder when that scratch happened, or how that mark got there or why there are bits that are broken or missing. Why would I ever want anything shiny and new, when I could have something with history, and stories?

6S

Lannhi Nguyen is an English teacher and a sometime writer. She is trying to upgrade the "sometime" to a "regular." She enjoys drinking tea, dancing, giving compliments and hopes to one day invent a must-have household product.