20100602

True Story

by M.R. Phillips

My only stipulation to Kolby and me robbing the church was that we don't take any copies of the New Testament, bad luck that was. Of course, after kicking in the windows and ransacking the place most stipulations are forgotten. The loot was worthless in the grand scheme of things; a copy machine, a cheap keyboard, a microphone stand. As we drove aimlessly around the streets of my hometown I began to realize we had made a mistake in choosing to rip off the church, of all places. It was then I noticed Kolby thumbing through a pocket sized, well used copy of the New Testament. He held it up to the sunlight and said, deadpan, "Holier than thou."

6S

M.R. Phillips has had fiction appear in The Scratch Anthology, The Flash Fiction Offensive, and Powder Burn Flash.