20090912

Freud’s Dentist

by Brad Rose

Last Monday, I went to the dentist. I had previously missed two appointments - just slipped my mind, and forgot to go to them - so, after apologizing to the dentist's receptionist who had called to inquire if I were dead, or just plain forgetful, I went to get my teeth cleaned. I think teeth are directly symbolic, at least according to Freud, but I can't remember what they symbolize - probably something associated with sex. These days, most of Freud’s theories have fallen out of favor, or been discredited, so I’m not sure what to make of dreams of missing teeth. One thing I do recall from reading Freud however, is that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Funny thing happened at the dentist, though: after he finished cleaning my teeth, he suggested that I take up smoking cigars.

6S

Brad Rose shares more of his work on the 6S Social Network.