20090419

Cavity

by Angel Zapata

My son calls me up and tells me he’s lost his first tooth. This saddens me something fierce. He’s only five years old, and already the man inside him is pushing his way out. His mother and I divorced before his very first birthday. There’s an equal amount of prodigal fathers for every would-be prodigal son. The Tooth Fairy appears while he dreams, but nothing will fill this cavity.

6S

Angel Zapata was born in NYC, but currently resides just outside of Augusta , Georgia. His work has appeared or is forthcoming in Powder Burn Flash, Doorknobs & Bodypaint, Every Day Fiction, Every Day Poets, Membra Disjecta, Flashes in the Dark, and The Drabbler. He is husband to his blond goddess and father of four boys obsessed with all things ninja. He occasionally blogs here.