20081225

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Moose?

by Michelle Davis

"Mama, Mama, you know what?" my four year old always starts every conversation the same way. "This girl at my daycare, she is a girl, and she says reindeer are mooses, but I know they are reindeer because I know about this stuff: Santa can’t fly with mooses, Mama." His tone was so certain, but his eyes belied the question behind them. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus... that was all I could think of as I stared at those big blue eyes. I didn’t answer right away because how do you answer that (?), but he must have found the answer in my own eyes because he said, "Yeah, I know this stuff, because Rudolph is a reindeer and he helps Santa drive the sleigh, and he is NOT a moose." Dispute settled, end of story, and all is well in the world tonight... I love it when I’m right!

6S

Michelle Davis (formerly Duvall) finds the spirit of Christmas not in the jingles in the air... but in the minds of all of her boys... five to be exact!