20081111

Impaired Father

by Mark McGuire-Schwartz

At my wedding, I remember someone telling me that my father was pissing in the bushes. Impaired by drink. And celebration, perhaps. And not knowing what one does at a wedding officiated by both a rabbi and a priest. I went to look for him, but by then he was off somewhere else. Off somewhere else, doing something else.

6S

Mark McGuire-Schwartz sometimes imagines that he was raised by bears, and it shows. His poetry and prose have been published in Connecticut River Review, Whatever Literary Journal, Rogue Scholars, 55 Words, Fairfield Review, Bent Pin Quarterly, Dimensions, Connecticut Law Journal, and on the bottoms of rocks. He is the Director of the Wednesday Night Poetry Series in Bethel, Connecticut, the Co-Director of the Word of Mouth Poetry Series in New Haven, Connecticut, and the Founder and Director of the International Festival of Hearts and Cried Tears.