20071022

An Atheist's Plea

by Bob Jacobs

I died in a car crash this morning after I fell asleep at the wheel, my own fault for staying up half the night writing. I hadn't a clue what to expect and found myself surrounded by a fuzzy white nothingness, so I waited for God knows how long until some old guy turned up. He asked my name, licked his thumb and flicked through a bunch of papers he carried on a clipboard. He said, "So tell me, Mr Atheist, what have you ever done to deserve an eternity in Heaven?" Now, I'm an ordinary guy, I've had an ordinary life, I've done nothing remarkable and I haven't been to church in years, so I smiled meekly and shrugged, at which point he grunted, turned and walked away. When he had almost disappeared from view I shouted, "Hey, wait a minute, I once had some stories posted on the Six Sentences site, that must count for something, right?"

6S

Bob Jacobs, who's been Looking After the Little Lady, lives in the south-east of England with his wife and kids and Sony Vaio. In his spare time he likes to lie motionless on his back, whistling and staring at clouds.