20061124

Other People

by Peter Wild

It was twelve short of eight. So I guess you could say that I was early. But I didn't think it mattered. I wanted to be there, waiting, when she arrived. Man, I was so stoked. It felt like, all my life, I'd been waiting for this one chance to prove to myself that yes, I could do something good if I put my mind to it and tried hard to act like other people act.

6S

Peter Wild, author of The Happiest Days of Your Life, is the editor of a forthcoming series of books for Serpent's Tail, the first two of which - Perverted by Language: Fiction Inspired by The Fall and The Empty Page: Fiction Inspired by Sonic Youth - will be published in 2007. He is also editor of The Flash, which will be published by Social Disease in February 2007. His fiction has appeared in Word Riot, Pen Pusher, Scarecrow, Thieves Jargon, Rumble, The Beat and a bunch of other places. You can read other bits and pieces at peterwild.com.